Tuesday 8 May 2007

Busy 2 Weeks

It’s been a busy couple of weeks!
Weekend and mid-week flying over the last 10 days and a well attended ground school student barbeque and spring operations safety briefing on April 28th have kept operations busy at GGC.
Last weekend provided great (although windy) flying conditions on Saturday and another nice day on Sunday. Mid-week flying has become a well attended and regular event. Ulli summarizes a recent flight experience below:

Hello Everyone:

It looks like the customary nice May flying has returned, at least for the past weekend. Let's hope it keeps going for the Interclub contest next Saturday and MayFly the following weekend.

At times, the lift on Saturday was outstanding, particularly in the hills later in the day in the direction of Mt. Tremblant where we finally connected with cumulus with 9,000'+ cloudbases.

However, for me the highlight of the day came a little earlier, near the Ottawa river when I spotted a pair of red tailed hawks circling a little higher than I was. Normally, this results in the hawks quickly disappearing out of sight as they core the thermal and climb away. However, in this case I was able to keep up with them and even gain a little. This seemed strange to me but I soon realized why. As I got closer to one, maybe 50 ft away, it looked at me and gave me a very clear view of his/her talons just to make sure I knew who was boss here in their domain! What a scene, a 4 ft wing span hawk threatening a 50ft wing span glider! I actually felt honoured to be accepted in their world, even as a potential enemy. I realized again what a special sport gliding is. In what other part of aviation could this kind of thing happen?

All the best,
Ulli

No comments:

Post a Comment